Thursday, October 05, 2006

Temping can be Sheik

One of the great things about living a starving actor's life is temping...

Yeah, yeah, I can already hear you scream: "WHAT? Working crap jobs for minimal wage is a good thing?!?!?!" Well, no. But it has one great advantage: You get to be in some random places...

I am currently sitting in Pall Mall (around the corner from St. James' Palace) at the european headquarters of the Kuwait Petroleum Corporation. - How strange. As part of the (obviously) expensive interior, I find myself surrounded by photos of burning oilfields and paintings of Arabs with hawks and of course the Kuwaiti Towers.

All cups plates and saucers are enameled with gold, most of the desks are mahogany, but the best is yet to come...

I'm sitting here getting paid £8/hour because there is a meeting taking place between 5 people and my job is to ensure that they are stocked up on coffee and cookies.

Let me just say that again... I'm getting paid to be the Sheik of coffee and cookies! Aaaah, life is awesome sometimes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as you're not PAID to drink coffee and eat cookies, I can handle it.

Chris Rogers said...

Better: They ordered a HUGE Libanese meal -hummous, salad, chicken, lamb, etc.- And my (rather cute) boss and I just got to having a massive 2 hour lunch.

THAT is what I'm being paid for!

Anonymous said...

Not that bad... Yummi. You made me hungry. Are there some left-overs?

Chris Rogers said...

Enough for about 4 people, I'm totally stuffed, reak of garlic and am loving it. (Plus someone has just brewed some turkish coffee - If they're not careful I'll chain myself to the building...)

Chris Rogers said...

...and they just told me I can leave an hour early. Jesus I want a job with these guys! (By the way, I took some pictures, I'll upload them when I come home tonight.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm kinda jealous. Maybe you can send me a doggy bag...?