Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Old Vic


When I moved to London in 2005 I lived in an empty office. (I know, slightly strange, I'll explain in another post.) My housing association asked me for proof of income so I spent the first day walking around the area of Borough with CV's looking for a job. I went to the Tate, The Globe and then happened to bump into the house manager of the Old Vic. The conversation went something like this:

- Can I have a job?
- Can you start on Saturday?
- Can you give me a Job reference?
- Welcome to the Old Vic.


I thought: Awesome! I'll stay for a few weeks, watch a play and then find a real job...

A year and a half onwards and I still can't tear myself from the place. Apart from the fact that my fellow ushers (struggling actors/dancers/singers and the occasional lawyer) have become friends, this charming little theatre with its leaking roof, creaky floors and exasperated toilets is one of the best places to spend an evening on London's Southbank. And if you're lucky the occasional movie star will make an appearance in the bar.

Spearfronted by Kevin Spacey, the artistic director, this theatre is gaining a reputation for producing new and exciting productions. (Currently: "A Moon for the Misbegotten", starring Kevin Spacey, Colm Meaney and Eve Best. Definately worth seeing and on a side note: All three of them are incredibly nice people.)

Although it's been a rocky ride at times I like Kevin's attitude for the theatre. I believe he deliberatly uses his and his fellow actors' clout to draw audiences, then chooses plays which are not the obvious crowd pleasers but rather theatre he likes to produce.

In any case I can't encourage you enough to go and see a play there, no matter who is in it.
Oh, and if I'm working meet me in the bar afterwards...

No comments: